Sunday, February 16, 2020

The Vanishing Siesta

It was in Rome in the summer of '66, I believe, when I first discovered the beneficial pleasures of an afternoon nap. Italians used the Spanish word siesta, a so much more attractive term for losing consciousness for a brief time during the day. The Italian is pisolo or pisolino. Siesta sounds adult, sophisticated, and exotic. 

Naps are for kids. 

I was walking around in the heat of the afternoon taking pictures and I stopped in the little park across from the Santa Maria Church where they keep The Mouth of Truth. Three men were sprawled out on stone benches fast asleep. That looks like a good idea, I remember thinking. And the next day I tried it myself for the first time, but in my bed in Trastevere. 

In modern Spain, the business community has all but done away with the traditional siesta. That's true in Italy too. I, however, remain loyal to this Mediterranean tradition. Zzzzzz.



This worked well when I was on a travel photo assignment. I'd start the day at sunrise, work until lunch, read a bit and sleep for thirty to forty minutes. Then I'd get back to shooting pictures until the night descended. So I skipped that part of the day when the sun was directly overhead and produced unattractive lighting. Well, that's what I told myself, how I rationalized my schedule. 

What did I do on those days when I had to be up and moving and miss my siesta, you're thinking. I would adjust. For one thing, I would not have wine or beer at lunch. 

I've been finding some better places to eat here in Liverpool. More on that next week. 






2 comments:

  1. I concur! I soon learned a little post lunch nap was better than wasting time and film trying to shoot in horrid light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bene. Bravo Edo.
    A Roma lo chiamiamo pennichella!
    Buon riposo!

    ReplyDelete