Sunday, April 12, 2020

Sometimes It's the Little Things

I think I may have painted myself into a corner with the title of my blog. I've cast myself as a confused complainer, bitching about this and that, always finding fault when the true fault could well be with me. Hmm. Maybe? Well . . . here I go again.


Who was it that convinced otherwise sensible women to walk around in 6-inch heels? In general, I've always thought that women were wiser than men in practical matters. But not when it comes to fashion (And not when dealing with men either). 

When I lived in Texas and worked for American Airlines, I bought myself a pair of cowboy boots, had them custom made at a place in Fort Worth. I guess I kind of went native. I wore a Dallas Cowboy's cap too and listened to a lot of Willie Nelson. My reward (and the heels on those boots were probably no more than 2" high) was trouble with the calf muscle in my right leg for the next five years. Maybe a guy from Brooklyn should not be trying to look like a cowboy? 


While I'm on the subject of modern fashion, I might as well say what else I don't like or understand about recent trends. 

Tattoos! A couple of artfully done, nicely placed tattoos can look good. But why are so many people getting tattooed from head to toe? It's scary. What are they hiding from? And in case the tattoos aren't enough, they add wild colored hair, ripped-up jeans, and bizarre costumes! I should mention piercing but maybe I've already gone too far.

Have you seen the singer Christina Aguilera lately? She used to go around in elaborate makeup dressed like a female Elton John. She's now scrubbed down to the basic Christina. And she looks totally yummy. 



A lot more serious than changes in fashion is the total emptiness of the streets that the coronavirus has brought to major cities around the world. Above is Mathew Street here in Liverpool. All the bars and music clubs are closed including the famous Cavern Club. And there's not a single Beatles fan insight. 


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about modern fashions but then I think back on items I have worn in my youth. Leather jacket, white neckerchief and boots in my 'Rocker' days. Beatles style suits and Italian shoes in the 60s. Platform shoes in the 80s (and permed hair!). Never saw the point in tattoos though. Can you imagine what people's bodies with all-over body tattoos will look like when in their 80s! YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuk indeed...
    Great blog Edo!
    Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete