Sunday, October 11, 2020

Selfie Abuse



I don't do selfies. Technically, I'm terrible at it, all thumbs as to which buttons to push. And there's the fact that I've never learned the art of the fake smile. Even before the advent of the phone camera, I had very few snapshots of myself.


Do you think it's odd that a professional photographer like myself has so few snapshots of his life and travels? I do. And that was the situation before losing the few pictures I had along with everything else in my apartment in Lower Manhattan.

Frankly, I don't understand why so many people feel that they must have a picture of themselves standing in front of every statue on Planet Earth. Honestly, I don't get it.

* * *

I used to photograph celebrities from the theater and music world. In Rome, I worked on the edge of the movie business. Nino Manfredi was the Italian actor I got along with best, a good guy and a great talent. The only celeb snap I've been able to find is this one of Oscar-winning actor, George C. Scott working on his makeup for the role of Abraham in the John Houston film, The Bible: In the Beginning ... 






Below is my most treasured personal picture, my wife Eloise. It's a portrait, more than a snapshot. We were together for 12 years and remained close after our divorce right up until she died. That was just a month before the Mulberry Street fire. 2018 was not a good year.
 


* * *

This will be my last weekly blog for a while. 

I've started work on a memoir about growing up in Brooklyn and I find it hard to tap into the same source (my life) on two different projects at the same time. 

I plan to continue writing and publishing my blog but just once a month. 

Thank you all for putting up with my blah blah. 







3 comments:

  1. A lovely portrait of Eloise. Good luck with your memoir Edo. I'm sure it will make a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a tiny opart of your memoir Edo, and Massimo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your blogs. Best wishes with the memoir.

    ReplyDelete