Sunday, March 15, 2020

Shangri-La?

In James Hilton's novel, Lost Horizon (the basis of Frank Capra's wonderful film), the real point is that even in a near-perfect utopian land, people can be discontent and want for something else. In Shangri-La, the inhabitants live long, healthy, peaceful lives. But they lack adventure and discovery. They lack adrenalin-producing risk. So some of them venture forth into the unknown. 

Is Liverpool my Shangri-La?  

Liverpool is no one's Shangri-La. This Merseyside port city is not a utopia. Even the Fab Four are here no more. It does have some good things about it but it's not been moving towards perfect.  


It feels odd writing about a perfect place when Planet Earth is being visited by a pandemic. The coronavirus has not put any of us on a path to safety or perfection. I asked Ringo what he thought people in Liverpool should do about this virus. He just stood there silently and said nothing.

As I write this, Liverpool has not yet shut things down. I can still eat in restaurants and shop at M&S and Tesco. And the shelves are still full. My friends in Italy and New York tell me a different story. Tomorrow? What will happen tomorrow? Sorry, but my crystal ball is clouded up.





In the mythical mountain land of Shangri-La, Tibetan Buddhism was at the core of things. That subject is immense. I am not a Buddhist but for those of you who are interested, this will get you started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibetan_Buddhism

No comments:

Post a Comment