Sunday, August 16, 2020

Social Distancing

Last week I said that I'd begun to eat out again. Have you? Or are you worried about social distancing? 

I'm pretty good at guessing a person's height. I'm rarely off by more than a half-inch. So I think it's odd that I'm having trouble estimating the prescribed social distancing space of 2 meters. I know that that is roughly six and a half feet. The supermarkets and other businesses have distances marked out on the floor. But are they the same? Are they consistent? I don't think so. (Of course, I'm an American, and Americans don't use or understand the metric system.)



And what about the layouts for tables in restaurants? To me, they look like their closer together than 2 meters, both indoors and out. Here's a shot I took of Gino D'Acampo on Castle Street a few days ago. 


Two meters? One and a half? What do you think? 

I had my second mushroom pizza of the month at Rudy's next door to Gino's yesterday. There was lots of room where I sat inside in the cool. Scousers and tourists alike were sitting outside in the bright sunshine. Italians wouldn't be caught dead eating a meal in the sunshine. And neither would I. 


These two mountain village Italians seem to understand the concept of social distancing.




And let's not forget that in 1918 we were visited by another pandemic.


No comments:

Post a Comment