Sunday, July 12, 2020

Alfresco Unlocked


Most popular bistros here in Liverpool City Centre held back a little with the partial lifting of the lockdown. They are now catching up, quickly going to the trouble and expense of building outdoor additions to their table space. It's not a surprise that they didn't trust what may or may not happen next. A profitable future depends on getting it right. 

Both Bold Street and Castle Street are now closed to traffic. Both are now pedestrian islands. The Liverpool City Council is doing what it can to support small businesses. In the year that I've been here, I've been most impressed with the way this city is run. Good on you, LCC!

I had lunch out three times this past week. I reported on my pizza at Rudy’s in my last post. That was just before they added the sidewalk tables. 

I lunched at Mowgli, my favorite Indian place. Places, really, because they have two locations. One is at the far end of Bold Street and the other is near Castle Street and the Town Hall. I walked south to Bold. 

They told me me that there would not be a table available until 4:15 PM. We were discussing this at 12:20 just after they opened for lunch. There were two empty tables outside and the hostess offered me one. It was chilly and threatening rain, but I gave it a go. 

My third lunch was at the Duke Street Food and Drink Market where I order my favorite, a veggie version of the classic Cuban sandwich—mushrooms, cheese, pickles, mayo, and a few other bits alongside a cold Mexican lager.

They were not busy but things should pick up. They've switched to full table service now with paper menus. That's much easier than getting my own beer or wine with the half self-service they used to do.  

Marks & Spencer Foodhall has anticipated people wanting to celebrate the recent positive change. They have a display of the bubbly near their checkout.


Obviously, not everyone is feeling safe about going out to eat or drink yet. Personally, I don't think that I'll be visiting a pub anytime soon. Pubs are not about social distancing. And Uber, deliveroo, and Just Eat are still doing record business.



No comments:

Post a Comment