Sunday, July 26, 2020

Aging

Someone on the BBC today warned against "pining for the past and cringing from the future." Good advice. Dealing with the present is hard enough.

A dear friend in Tuscany had a bad fall this past week. I will not suggest she is aging (ageing in the UK). In my day, it was not polite to discuss a woman's age. But her dog seems to have gotten very old. This faithful canine is blind, deaf, and unsteady on his feet—all four of them. He was the accidental cause of my friend's fall. It's not just humans who suffer as they age. 


Whatever your species, your years are numbered, and the later decades can be hard. My own sense of balance has diminished greatly in these last few years.

The buildings, sidewalks, and roads here in Liverpool are aging too. During the lockdown, landlords and the City Council have been working to repair them. 


The Prime Minister suggests that old folks should slim down. His advisors say it will give them a better chance if they have to deal with the deadly virus. So far, no fines or arrests have been mentioned. I'm older, Boris, but I'm thinner than you are.


I lost my extra pounds six or seven years ago. I did it by intermittent fasting, the 16/8 program. And I've stayed with the program. I eat only breakfast and lunch in an 8-hour window. I don't eat junk food, and I don't need to count calories. Oh, and I usually have a drink or two with my lunch. So far, alcohol has not been a problem. But if my doctor were to suggest that I stop drinking, I would make a change.

I'd find a new doctor. 

2 comments:

  1. Your 16/8 diet is excellent thinking. Not quite so easy when you live with someone who has other ideas though. Your doctor comment made me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only eat two meals a day, and one of them is pretty sparse. I weigh less now than I did 30 years ago. And I wasn’t too heavy then!
    Your plan is great. Dogs underfoot? A peril at any age. I suggest having a clip or slip on bell. When you get up to move around, put the bell on the dog.

    ReplyDelete